This is a render of a Datsun L16 engine from a 1972 1600 Datsun pick-up truck. My goal here was to model a high poly hard surface model to render with. While insanely difficult to find reference or any blueprints I tried to rebuild this engine from photo reference. While most of the materials are purely shader based there are some use of normal detail maps for cast iron parts and normal map baked out for exhaust intake to get tig welds on. I took exhaust manifold into zbrush to do welding sculpt. I used xnormal for to bake out the maps that I did use. There was no post editing of the images. All parts were built in Maya with the modeling process taking about 40 hours. All beauty shots rendered in Keyshot.